The term Rudraksha is derived from two Sanskrit words: 'Rudra' and 'Aksha'. Rudra denotes the manifested form of Lord Shiva himself who personifies terror and Aksha denotes 'eyes'. Rudraksh is said to have developed from the tears shed by Lord Shiva. It symbolizes the five elements: sky, air, fire, water and earth. In English it is called 'Utrasum Bead Tree'. These all are about rudraksha and the benefits of rudraksha.
As mentioned in the religious texts, there existed Tripurasura who was the trio version of Asura brothers named Tarakaksha, Vidyunmāli and Kamalaksha. They were the sons of the Asura Tarakasura. Pleased with their meditation Brahmadev granted them three forts in three different worlds- gold, silver and iron forts which shall align once in every 1000 years.
The combined fort would be known as Tripura. These three forts were located on the earth, in the sky and in the heaven, respectively. Whoever will be able to destroy it with a single arrow, the death of Tripurasura will be destined then. They started troubling the deities and sages and destroying everything with their demonic energy. They were so powerful that they were undefeatable and unbeatable. On witnessing their immoral actions, Brahmadev along with Lord Vishnu and other deities prayed to Mahadev Shiva to seek for mercy and destroy the evil Tripurasura.
He meditated for sometime and was so infuriated due to the unrighteous behaviour of the demons that when he opened his lotus shaped eyes, tears fell from them on the earth. Wherever his tears fell, the Rudraksha tree grew up. Then he used his deadly divine weapon called Aghor Shastra to destroy Tripurasura for good. From that day onwards he was worshipped as Lord Tripuraantakaayaan , an aspect of Shiva.
According to Shiva Mahapuran, Parvati asked Lord Shiva the origin of Rudraksha. Hearing his question, Shiva replied that he did penance for a thousand years. Because he was tired of keeping his eyes closed, he opened them. And then the revered Rudraksha tree was born from the tear shed by the Almighty himself. These seeds of the tree were distributed throughout the land known as Utrasum Bead Tree, which is botanically known as Elaeocarpus Ganitrus Roxb, found in the temperate and subalpine.
They grow in mountains and mountainous regions from Nepal, Indonesia, Java, Sumatra, Burma, Bhutan, Bangladesh, the Philippines, Manila, Myanmar, Southeast Asia, Indonesia, New Guinea to Australia, Guam, and Hawaii. They are large evergreen trees growing to 50-200 feet with cylindrical stems with thick textured dirty white bark. The leaves of the tree are pyramidal in shape and the flowers are white with fringed petals. Rudraksha fruits are blue in color and resemble blueberries. From now on, the beads are sometimes referred to as blueberry beads.
It turns black when it dries. These fruits are also known as Amritphal. These are the same seeds that are used as the sacred Rudraksha beads. Rudraksha has a mystical role and great significance in the spirituality and well-being of India. However, these mysterious and sacred beads are widely used for various purposes. It is known for its attractive fruit pits, spiritual values, and also medicinal properties. It is believed that using a sanctifying rudraksha can develop a strong spiritual connection with Shambhu(Lord shiva).
Below are some important rules to follow before using Rudraksha:
- The Rudraksha should be used only after purifying and charging it with mantras from a Brahmin priest in the Shiv Temple. The best day to do this is Monday and Thursday.
- It must be purchased with your own money, not with borrowed money.
- It must be removed before going to places like crematoriums and funerals. It should also be removed before visiting newborns.
- Non-vegetarian food and alcohol should not be consumed when using these sacred beads.
- The user should always be honest and seek the blessings of Lord Shiva.
- These beads can be used all the time, otherwise it is recommended to keep them safely in the pooja room and offer daily prayers.
- Can be used by everyone, regardless of gender, caste, creed, ethnicity, etc.
- It should be cleaned periodically with holy water to avoid the accumulation of any type of dirt particles in its pores.
- In case you do not use the pearls regularly, it is recommended to grease the pearls after regular cleaning.
- The beads should not be used during wrong acts
- Women may remove it before their cycle.
The health benefits after using a Rudraksha are as follows:
- Rudraksha beads have electromagnetic properties and bioelectricity stimulation effects that help reduce stress, anxiety, lower blood pressure levels and increase the level of confidence in a person, respectively.
- It has a dynamic polarity property so it acts like a magnet eliminating all interference's and blockages in our body, making blood flow smoothly.
- It has a dielectric property that eliminates any malignant energy.
- It has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that help build our resistance to numerous diseases.
- Prevents cardiac arrest and improves performance, in addition to controlling the heartbeat.
- By stabilizing the unwanted energy source, it helps to improve and balance our nervous system and excess hormones, respectively.
- Improves the process of respiration and circulation in our body and refines the function of our endocrine glands.
- It helps to improve our memory, balance our mind and calm our heart.
- It is also considered a rich source of vitamin C.
- Drinking soaked Rudraksha water is also considered healthy.
- Helps prevent epileptic seizures.
- Helps improve fertility, as well as cure memory loss and impotence.
- Helps to improve the proper functioning of the thyroid glands.
- It even helps to cure lung diseases, skin diseases, eye diseases, bone disorders like osteoporosis, abdominal disorders, asthma, fever, etc.